You read that right! This banana bread recipe is grain free, refined sugar-free, dairy free and full of nutrient dense ingredients.
And although it is mostly meant for humans, it’s definitely a treat you can share with your pup without having to worry they’re going to eat something toxic or disruptive to their gut. I would, however, be mindful of your dog and their particular situation. For example, if your dog has a yeast issue or diabetes, you need to try and stay away from all kinds of sugar (even natural sugars from fruit). But know, that if you’re on the fence about feeding something like this to your pup, a little piece of this banana bread is light years better than Pedigree marrow bone treats or Milk bones (or really any processed food for that matter).
And, lastly, remember this is a treat. Something we share on occasion and don’t typically incorporate into our dogs diets. So stop worrying so much, grab your mixing bowls and let’s get to baking!
- 2 good sized ripe bananas (mashed)
- 1/3 cup peanut butter (just peanuts + preferably organic)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey (or 1/3 cup if you prefer your banana bread sweeter)
- 2 pastured eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 packed cups ofalmond flour
- 1 tsp aluminum-free baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup blueberries (or cranberries as a tart, seasonal low sugar substitute)
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a loaf pan with coconut oil or grass fed butter.
- In a large bowl, mix mashed bananas, peanut butter, maple syrup, eggs, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix well.
- Gently fold in blueberries or cranberries.
- Pour mixture into pan.
- Bake for 60–70 minutes.
Let cool in the pan, remove, slice and ENJOY with your pup (with or without a lick of grass fed butter).
Optional: top with some whipped coconut cream and extra berries.