It's been a while but we're back and cranking out the recipes!
Summer time is my favourite season for creating new dishes because seasonal produce is at its best! Vibrant greens, earthy herbs, juicy berries and stone fruits all line the market stalls, practically begging to be tossed into parfaits, smoothies, frozen drinks, chilled soups and salads.
The thing about summertime though, is it's when our dogs are most prone to yeast, allergies and overheating. So I had to be thoughtful with my recipe making and ensure it included fresh, local (where possible), low sugar ingredients that were super healing, delicious and THIRST QUENCHING for a sweltering hot day. And that's when I decided to make a minty green tea smoothie!
We've known for some time now that green tea is one of the most powerful anti-oxidants out there (see ya inflammation!) and mint, well, we could all use a little sweet punch of mint every now and again (especially our doggos- shhh don't tell them). And together? A perfect culinary match! So let's get to makin'!
- 1 bag of decaf green tea (organic if possible or preferably 1 tbsp of decaf loose leaf green tea leaves)
- 1 cup of filtered water (boiled for tea)
- 1 cup of chopped dark leafy greens (whatever is local to your region- I like spinach or kale so not too bitter)
- 1 handful of mint leaves
- 1/2 cup of frozen pineapple (I know, not local)
- juice of 1 small lime (I know, not local again)
- 1/2 inch piece of organic ginger grated
- 1/2 cup of ice
- 1/4 cup of frozen avocado
- 1 small green apple cored and cubed
- pinch of quality sea salt
- top with hemp seeds and/or a drizzle of raw honey (optional)
Steep tea bag or tea leaves in water for 2-4 minutes (depends how strong you like your tea) and let cool. Then toss all ingredients in a blender, pour into a glass for you and a bowl for your pooch. Garnish with a mint sprig and some seeds and/or raw honey. And let's face it, if you're making this on a weekend feel free to toss in some tequila for yourself.