What in the what is puppermint hot no-coa? I'm so glad you asked!
Because our dogs can't have cocoa (SIREN SIREN SUPER TOXIC ALERT) when making them treats, sometimes it's nice to use unsweetened carob as it has a rich almost nutty flavour that can easily and safely be substituted for cocoa.
And just to clarify, the hot part isn't totally correct either- our dogs will enjoy this bevvy best warm or at room temperature. So, this is our doggy safe version of peppermint hot cocoa- but, you get the picture.
Here's the scoop on how to make it for your pooch.
- 1 cup unsweetened nut mylk (we like Elmhurst milked almonds)
- 1 tbsp unsweetened carob powder (we like Bob's Red Mill)
- 1/4-1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup (if you don't have and don't need to be strictly plant-based you can use raw honey)
- 1/4 tsp alcohol-free vanilla
- 1/8 tsp organic peppermint flavour
- 1 can of unsweetened gum-free coconut milk
Put a can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight
Add nut mylk, carob powder, maple syrup, vanilla and peppermint flavour to a pot on low heat and whisk until thoroughly mixed and almost frothy!
Pour mixture into a small mug. Open can of coconut milk and scoop out the thick, solid cream that's formed at the top into a bowl. Whip the cream rapidly with a metal whisk or with a mixer/immersion blender if you have. Spoon the whipped coconut cream on top of the "hot" carob mix.
Sprinkle with cinnamon or extra unsweetened carob and serve to your pupper!
Super delicious and easily shareable (just make sure to heat yours up a little more).